Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Illegal Immigrant Problem

As this topic continues to rage in this country, I finally heard at least part of a solution that made sense to me. It was from a local talk show host, Jerry Agar. He opined that we should completely secure the American-Mexican border with either hard fence or virtual fence and not just the bits and pieces that the federal government wants. Then we need to remove the demand by cracking down on employers that are hiring illegal immigrants.

The reason that I like this idea is that as far as the fence goes, I think that we absolutely need to control that border. That does NOT mean that I want to close the border, just control who crosses it. That is a right that any sovereign nation has.

The reason that I like the idea of shutting down the employers is that it is very logical. If employers stop hiring illegal immigrants they will start hiring legals. This would increase the demand for legal employees which if there is really a need for us to increase our immigration limits (which I believe there is) it will be very apparent. But, it will also dry up the demand for illegals as they can not make a living in the U.S. without having gone through the legal process.

I also believe that this deals with the problem of the illegals in the U.S. because without the going through the legal process you can't make a living.

Once this plan were put in place, the politicians then need to streamline the legal immigration process. We are a country of immigrants and we should encourage that.

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: