Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Veto from the No-Veto President?

I must say that this story is extremely disappointing to me all the way around. I personally am not sure whether the U.S. should outsource our ports to the UAE company or not but the political storm around it has brought up some of the most ridiculous statements that I have heard since the last Presidential election.

#1 - Why should we treat this UAE business differently than the British company that is trying to make the deal? To me this is a ridiculous statement because the answers are really to easy. First, the British company is not partially owned by a foreign government. This seems like enough of a reason for me. Second, how many of the terrorist actions have been committed by native Brits?

#2 - If we don't allow it we show prejudice toward the Arab world. Again, I disagree. I think that we show restraint. We are attempting to protect our borders. As Jay Leno said, should we outsource our immigration policy to Mexico?

#3 - President Bush will veto any legislation trying to stop it. This is probably the most irritating one to me. He skipped vetoing the campaign finance reform, the education giveaway, the medicare explosion act, the transportation bill but NOW I will veto a bill that has a real justification in the eyes of the American people?

I think that is time for serious discussion on this issue and not just posturing, threats, and scare tactics. Is it the right solution? I really don't know but I am beginning to believe that some of the politicians in Washington aren't.

No comments: