Thursday, February 23, 2006

Ports Argument

I mentioned in a previous post that I am unsure of the ports deal with the UAE. I just found a great editorial and I thought I would share. I think it gives a good explanation of why it is not a problem.

Ports of Politics

I especially thought the following quote makes a lot of sense:
"Besides, the notion that the Bush Administration is farming out port "security" to hostile Arab nations is alarmist nonsense. Dubai Ports World would be managing the commercial activities of these U.S. ports, not securing them. There's a difference. Port security falls to Coast Guard and U.S. Customs officials."

2 comments:

Matthew Nehrling said...

Jeremy,
I'm glad to see you are looking at this more rationally than most out there... There is so much bogus information it isn't even funny.. I'm working on dozens of posts on this subject (it will take that many..) after reviewing all the financial transactions and P&O's current responsibility..

Nidsu said...

Matthew,

The problem that I personally have is that I can see the free market economics of the issue but I am not sure that it is a good idea from a national security standpoint.

I completely understand that the Coast Guard or Border Patrol is supposed to be in charge of security for the ports. We can see that the Border Patrol is very understaffed so they can't cover the ports. In fact, I am not sure that any agency can properly police the ports.

I think that the company may in theory be just fine right now. I do believe that it will be easier though for a terrorist to infiltrate a middle eastern company than an American company.

I am not trying to discriminate though, I don't think the contract should be in the hands of the British either. In my opinion this is not a contract that should farmed out.

It would be quite similar to allowing airports to be controlled by a foreign government. Even though security would still be provided by the TSA, I don't think that would be a good idea.

Having said all of that, I am not sure that I understand enough to have a concrete opinion on the topic so I am trying to find more information.

I am going to continue to post what I find.