Thursday, February 07, 2008

Politically Homeless: Lack of a Candidate

I am currently in a position where I feel like my principles are making it so that I don't even want to vote. The Republicans are looking like they are going to select a very moderate John McCain (albeit not as "moderate" as Guiliani). The Democrats are fight over who can become more liberal.

I hear tons of people saying that conservatives should support John McCain because he is a Republican. I have also heard that we should vote for McCain to keep Hillary out of office. I am not convinced of this approach to voting.

First of all, I think McCain probably has a better shot against Hillary than Obama. Hillary and McCain are both closer to center than any of the other candidates and there is a lot of people who do not want the Clintons in office again. Due to the fact that Hillary and McCain agree on quite a few issues independent and moderate Democrats could possibly vote for McCain. Many conservatives will hold their nose and vote for McCain to "keep Hillary out".

As for the other, argument that we should vote for the Republican candidate. I have also heard that the conservatives are tearing the party apart by fighting McCain. First of all, I am in principle a libertarian conservative and by current necessity I typically will lean toward Republican candidates. That does NOT imply that I really care that much about the Republican party. As the Republicans continue to move to the left, I will hope that another option presents itself (maybe the conservative or Reagan party). Anyway, my point is that I am a conservative first and a Republican distant second so the argument that I should vote for McCain and that I should fall in line sounds like something the Democrats want - Don't ask questions just fall in line. Above and beyond that should I really throw my principles out the window and support McCain?

I am not quite sure what I will decide. I can honestly say that I won't be voting for Obama or Hillary, but if I vote for McCain it will definitely be with my nose plugged.

No comments: